Tuesday, June 7, 2016

I've! Been! Dry! 55!



PUT SOME DAMN PANTS ON SAMMY!!


Tuesday's list:
  1. Gratitude:  I am grateful for 55 days sober!  (More on that in a moment.)
  2. Daily Coping Skills:  More meditation and blogging.  
  3. Daily Goal:  Participate in IOP.  
  4. PSA:  My life isn't perfect, but I am grateful for what I have.


As Sammy Hagar once sort of sang, "I've been dry 55... days!"  Sober for 55 days.  Yay me!


Today's IOP meeting was very interesting.  One of the younger members of the group came out and simply asked, "What are all you people bitching about?  Every day you come in here and complain about your problems.  It's all a matter of Will Power.  I have will power.  Why don't you people?"


Oh, man!  You should've seen the look on Iggy's face.  The comment came out of a smug little piece of shit who's there by court order for his marijuana use.  So Iggy asks quite simply, "So, can you tell us with a straight face that you do not think of using?  Can you tell us that in one day's time, one week's time, one month's time that you won't have a thought of using?"


The kid said, "Sure.  It's easy.  I just use my mind."


He then went on to say that his posse knows not to pass the joint over to him at parties and whatnot.  He said his girlfriend knows not to offer him any.  Yeah, that's going to work out for him.


Iggy went around the room asking the other members why they were there, and asked whether or not we were whining about our conditions and what exactly we were there for.  Suffice to say, we outnumbered him on our reasons versus his will power.  I love the fact that Iggy remembered each and every word the jerk initially said and made sure to address every line right back at him.


Iggy also reminded the punk that he and Gateway aren't there to rubberstamp his court documents and that perhaps he was in the wrong program and that he'd see to it that another program was made available.  The guy was taken out of the class towards the tail-end, but came back with some paperwork... I'm not sure precisely what it was, but I am hopeful we've seen the last of him.  An attitude like that is not needed in our class.


I'll continue on with my recovery.  I got a congratulations from the group and Iggy when discussion rolled round to me.  I said that will power made up probably less than 5% of my recovery to date.  The rest was constant work on my program, participating in the group, asking questions, attending meetings and working with other people in the same boat as myself.  The other 95% was plain hard work, pure and simple.  No one ever said sobriety was easy.  I also said that I "wished" will power was all it took.  He didn't seem to care for my answer, or anyone else's in the group.  Oh well, his loss.  Again, good luck with that will power thing.


I'll keep doing it... One Day At A Time.  (Iggy and the group sided with me on that one.  Hell, we all sided with one another on all our responses.























No comments:

Post a Comment