Monday, February 20, 2017

Gotta Love State Holidays

As it's President's Day, I got it off paid, so that allowed me to attend what has become one of my favorite meetings.  I love the group at St. David's.  It's a nice group of people.  For the most part, it isn't usually over-crowded, and we get to actually speak to one another.


It also wasn't bad as we're in the tail-end of February and the temperatures outside are practically May-ish.  Granted a little windy, but still... none of us were going to complain! 


I volunteered for the "More About Alcoholism" reading today as there were only nine of us there this morning.  I read that quite a bit at night before I do my nightly meditation.  It's also nice sharing that with people who can probably recite by rote along with me. 


Anyhoots... today's topic was a fun one.  The whole concept of "liquor being my best friend and the fact that I had a lot of fun drinking"... I shared some stories from my Columbia days, where I'd take my classmates about four blocks over to Greektown and order INDIVIDUAL bottles of roditis ( a Greek blush wine) for each member of the table.  We'd eat appetizers from the entire menu and then go back to the building on Wabash and go on the air... completely plowed.  How we never got sited for FCC violations, I will never to this day know.


But, yes... liquor was my friend.  Albeit a fake one.  I let all of that mentality get the better of me and I let it run my life for far too long.


It's not my best friend.  It's not even a friend.  What friend would do that to someone?!?


The final "thought" / "prayer" or whatever came down to... sharing your love/joy/happiness/time...etc... with those that still suffer.  That's knocking Step 12 outta Wrigley for me.  I do that with my St. David's crowd.  I'm doing something for others, I suppose. 


One Day at a Time.


No reason for following photo, other than the fact that I love this show:


No comments:

Post a Comment