Saturday, January 23, 2016

Saturday January 23, 2016 - HERE THERE BE MONSTERS

I attended my first meeting in Streamwood today.  A very welcoming and friendly group.  This one is not like my home group back in Aurora.  Not everyone there were something like three decades into the program.  I always felt intimidated by that with the other group.


Today's meeting topic was Step Four.

"Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves."



I obviously didn't like what immediately sprang to mind during my moral inventory.  I am, at worst and quite simply, a liar.  I lied to my best friend.  My ONLY friend.  (I have no others whatsoever.)  I am self-centered, egotistical, petty and generally useless in any given situation.



Our group discussion turned to 'fear'.  What do I fear?  Easy.  Losing my wife.  I have so MANY amends I need to make with her and I don't know even know if another amends would even be heard, yet alone believed.  I can only hope it isn't too late.



The strange title of this post stems from something that happened a little earlier this evening.



My ride picked me up from the meeting and we ended up at Jewel.  I feel bad enough being here, and I'm not about to eat 4 day old Chinese food that's been sitting in the fridge since before I got here, so I bought a 12 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper and a simple bag of Pepperidge Farms Caramel Apple Cookies.


Not the best idea for food, but I'm not hungry... so... the only other soft drinks in the house were room temperature regular style Dr. Pepper, regular Coca-Cola, and a ton of juice boxes... I figured I was fine with what I bought.



I put what I thought were my Diet Dr. Peppers in the fridge and the cookies in their pantry.  I had one can of pop while I got used to these new/old surroundings.  By the time I finished unpacking as best I could, with the minimal amount of energy I had, I went to grab a second pop... nearly six others were already gone.  I see my father nursing a new one and an empty one next to it.  That kid came around and lo and behold... there are some of the others in her hand.



SIGH.



Imagine my surprise later this evening when I went to grab just a simple cookie, only to find the bag missing.  They'd been completely consumed by that kid and my father.



Here be monsters.  This does not bode well.

No comments:

Post a Comment