Monday, May 9, 2016

MAY 9th, 2016 - Inpatient Stuff and New Stuff

OK... I think I got the new look of the blog the way I wanted it, so let's get back to business.  (ANYTHING PRIOR TO THIS POST DEALT WITH MY FIRST RUN THROUGH IOP, SO IT MIGHT NOT BE PERTINENT TO ANY OF MY PALS FROM INPATIENT READING THE BLOG FOR THE FIRST TIME.  FYI.)

As of this past Friday, May 6th, I spent 21 days as an Inpatient client at Gateway for my drinking problem.  It was something that I feel I should've done a long time ago, as it was precisely I definitely needed.

I seriously lucked out and got slotted into the Men's Extension Group.  There could only ever be a maximum of ten guys in the unit at any given time... otherwise I'd have ended up in the unit where I felt those shifty ne'er do wells dwell.  Shifty ne'er do wells being a term for people that would most probably stab me in the eyeball for my little bowl of salad in the cafeteria if I looked at them the wrong way... if you get what I mean.

ANYHOOTS... as I said, I was supremely fortunate to land where I did as I made friends with a great bunch of guys who were flawed like me.  We had some laughs here and there, but mostly we had lots and lots and lots of meetings/sessions together that were equally great.  Most of the counselors attached to our unit were fantastic.  A couple... well.. for my pals from Gateway reading this... you know the parties I'm talking about.

Like I said, we had a great group, but like any good long-running show... the cast line-up was in constant flux.  Just as you were getting to know someone really well, they were either discharged or forced to leave due to an insurance kerfuffle.

I am going to try and incorporate our morning/event progress report into this blog.  I will only do it once, though, as I don't see the point in posting twice a day.  If I miss something from my report, I can simply blog about it the following day.  I will obviously adjust as we go further along with this new phase of blogging.

I started IOP today with my previous counselor and came back to a much larger group than the one I left a month ago.  Three of the guys there were known to me, and one of those told me that he was headed into Inpatient Care on Thursday.  He's older several of the older bunch I left behind, so I'm hopeful he ends up in the Extension Group.  It was also nice to see my old friend Erik (with a K) in my IOP group.  He and I were over in the Extension Group together, so it's nice to have a friend I can continue to talk to.

I learned a lot about my disease.  My mental, psychological and emotional condition.  Myself.  I was given a set of tools for coping and managing myself in a manner befitting someone with the issues that I have.  The tools I was using at the facility are also being used in my new day to day life.  I'm done with the alcohol.  Just done.

Here's my daily list:

  1. Gratitude:  I am grateful for 26 days sober, my improving health and to be able to cook in my own kitchen again.  (I missed that.)
  2. Daily coping Skills:  Quiet time, meditation, blogging and attending IOP.
  3. Daily Goal:  Call my Sponsor.  (DONE!)  To be mindful of my surroundings and what I think/say to others.  EDIT:  To go on raccoon patrol in/around our house and also make sure there aren't any other wasps in the house.  (DONE!) 
  4. Positive Self Affirmation (PSA):  I deserve to be happy.
And here's a little chuckle for everyone:


No comments:

Post a Comment