Friday, August 26, 2016

I'm Lovestruck Baby.

I really should've gone to that show.  A fixed point in time (JEBUS!  26 years) that not even a Police Public Call Box can cure.


I had freaking tickets in my hand courtesy of the radio station I was working at back in the day.  I also had a full time job with Osco that put restrictions on my free time.  I figured... what the hell... why drive up to Alpine Valley, Wisconsin?  OK, sure, Robert Cray, SRV, Clapton, Buddy Guy and even Jimmie Vaughan... I can just catch them the next time they come through town.  How wrong I was!!! 


I will never ever forget that morning driving into work.  No one knew who was in that particular helicopter.  I selfishly said... "Well, Clapton, he's a legend.  What a way to go.  Cray?  A new guy on the scene.  Would the music world be that affected?  Nah.  SRV?  Oh, that would be a blow."


Like I said, this was the old Jim who still thought he was immortal.  I can't even begin to say what I felt like when one of my liquor salesmen (Chuck) came in and said that it was SRV.  I've buried a lot of my idols in my day since then... but this was the first one that really hit me hard.  I may have been alive when John Lennon was murdered, but he was just a tad bit slightly before my time.  SRV was mine.  Since then I've buried the entire original line-up of The Ramones.  Two separate members of KISS.  Another Beatle.  And my all time favorite author, Douglas Adams.  I tend to take these things with a much larger grain of salt these days.  




Still and all... your AA speech is awesome!  It's online.  Check it out if you've got a moment.  Miss you, SRV!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment