Thursday, March 3, 2016

March 3, 2016 - Overcoming Self Will and Sister Sledge

We didn't get as much snow as predicted here in Chicagoland, so that was nice.  Pretty easy to drive into the Fellowship Meeting.  This one is a little different for me as it generally consists of people older than me, with far different backstories to tell, yet as in the spirit of the Program/Brotherhood, no one minds pasty little me.  We share laughs.  (Mental note to share a bit about the laughter in a separate post.  Maybe later/maybe tomorrow.)  It's sweet.


I know some of the faces and some of the names, so that's always nice.  I see of those same faces usually at Sunday meetings.


ANYHOOTS... overcoming self-will and selfishness was the major topic.  We didn't have to split up into groups.  The general take-away I got from today's meeting was trying to let go of the sheer guilt associated with both of those topics.  It's oddly coinciding with what my therapist/counselor Janice has been saying.  I already mentioned she wants me to think of me more often... that's hard.  But by doing that, doesn't that still make me self-willed and selfish?  She'll say no.  "You've got take care of yourself." 


But my main take-away from today was pride.  If I may quote from today's reflection:


"Today I have been given the gift, through the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, of practicing the Steps and Traditions in my daily life, of my group and sponsor, and the capacity— if I so choose—to put my pride aside in all situations which arise in my life. Until I could honestly look at myself and see that I was the problem in many situations and react appropriately inside and out; until I could discard my expectations and understand that my serenity was directly proportional to them, I could not experience serenity and sound sobriety." (The underlined bit was my editorial commentary.)


Touche. 


This very lovely African American woman named "J"... said we were all a family.  'Granted' (my word, not her's) not a perfect family, but whose is, but a family nonetheless.  We all found time to come out to meet, to share and to deal with it.  We're all brothers and sisters working toward one common goal. (THOSE were her words.)


I DID say... hey wait a second... isn't that Sister Sledge?!  My only response was a beautiful and hysterical smile.  :-)  "Ya' got me."


And, if We Are A Family isn't an ear worm in your head right now... then I am not the writer/former evil radio DJ I thought I once was.


Good meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment