Saturday, February 20, 2016

Saturday - February 20, 2016 - Laughter... and Why So Serious?

Today was my first full day back home.  I can't tell you what a relief and sheer joy it was to come home.  The pooch went bananas, which while I didn't entirely enough... I was glad to see her.  I promised her and her mom that I wouldn't do that to them ever again.




Today, Saturday, was my first meeting back out here in Aurora.  This time I got to go with my neighbor, whom I didn't know was in the program.  From what I could gather, it's the only meeting he attends during the week.  I will definitely be going back... I just wasn't prepared for the sheer size of attendees... many of whom I knew from my personal home group.  I caught what I perceived as the "stink eye" from a couple of them... and was approached by one of the elderly gentlemen that was chairing meetings before my exile.




Stef called me on the fib I told him... when I promised I wouldn't lie to them or anyone else... I guess I just wasn't ready to see so many familiar faces.  I didn't think you could fit that many people into a single room like that!  There had to be 40 people in the room.  My neighbor introduced me to his sponsor, whom I found to be a very lovely man.  As I only just that moment had met him... I wasn't about to throw myself at him asking if he had room for another person in his paddock.  I intend to go back to that meeting... as I can use one on Saturdays.  I've been spoiled (if you can use that word) these past thirty days or so.




Before I wander too off-topic... the general discussion was about laughter and not being so overly serious about your own personal problems.  I tried locating the inspirational thought for the day, but can't quite seem to find it... maybe as it involves sponsors being mentioned, it might be in a book I do not know about, or have access to.  Stef and I are supposed to go to the local library tomorrow after my Sunday meeting... I hope to find some other books that I can't currently afford.




ANYWAY... you gotta laugh... this is true.  When I was drinking I was always laughing... but I related to several people commenting this morning about how that was shallow laughter... and not GENUINE laughter.  Oh sure, when I was drinking and hanging out with my writing/performance pals in Chicago, I could always get a laugh.  But when I say I was drinking... man, was I drinking!  The fact that something I wrote brought a major portion of a room to the floor laughing so hard, and having a majorly published author telling the hostess of the event... "I can't follow that." should have been a source of joy for me... no.  It was an excuse to drink some more.




My neighbor and I laughed on the way to and from the meeting.  It felt good to do so clean.  He asked if I had discussed "triggers" with either my home group or my counselor/therapist.  I never did with the group I "thought" were my home group, but I certainly did with my counselor/therapist.  I will also share that discussion when I see her again in about a week.




Yeah, you have to laugh.  At yourself.  At life in general.  And, at the people around you.  I was going to bring it up at the meeting, but as it was my first time there, and I knew a number of the people there, I held my tongue from quoting Shakespeare... "All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.  Performers and portrayers..."




What?  You think Geddy Lee and Rush came up with that on their own?!




I hemmed and hawed about announcing a month sober at tomorrow's meeting.  I'm going to.  I need group support and hope to find someone as a sponsor.




Wordy today, sorry... I got a decent night's sleep on a proper bed... in my home with the two females that mean the most to me in the universe.    I'll try to find something to laugh about tonight.  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment