Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tuesday February 2, 2016 - Step 6 and As-Salamu Alaykum

How badly do I want to remain sober?  How about hobbling down the street for my meeting today in a February thunderstorm... with horizontal rain... with only two other people at the meeting once I got there?

All that being said, I had a good day. 

Today's topic was a VERY NICE change of pace... we went over Step Six:

"Were entirely ready to have God remove our shortcomings."

Well, that's easier said than done... I have LOADS of shortcomings... as mentioned in this journal/blog... but as I approach it stone cold sober... you know what... maybe asking for that isn't too far fetched.  My story was no different than those of the other people there tonight.

I'm slowly getting over my self-centeredness and self-pity.  If my higher power did that for me or I did it for myself... who can say?

A lovely thing happened after the meeting. 

The other two people were there for the Polish-speaking meeting following ours, so I was on my own.  I got out of the building, and the minute the door closes, it locks.  So, there I was under the awning... witnessing a February thunderstorm (as previously mentioned)... I wasn't about to hobble home so I went into the Muslim mini-mart next door to just avoid getting soaked.  The guy at the counter, Tariq, was very nice and offered me a cup of coffee...I told him I had no money, as I just gave AA my last two singles... he said, "No.  My coffee." and he offered me one of those teeny-tiny cups of Middle Eastern coffees.  It looked like something Barbie would drink.

We shared a moment and the weather let up enough for me to trudge on home.

As-Salamu Alaykum. Tariq!  If Grumblor knew about that interaction, I'm sure he'd be throwing a mattress around the house.  HAH!  I WIN!  SMALL VICTORY!

No comments:

Post a Comment