Wednesday, February 3, 2016

February 3, 2016 - I Read the Following Today

I got to read the following at today's meeting:

"By drinking, we escaped from boredom for a while. We almost forgot our troubles. But when we sobered up, our troubles were twice as bad. Drinking had only made them worse. In A.A., we really escape boredom. Nobody's bored at an A.A. meeting. We stick around after it's over and we hate to leave. Drinking gave us a temporary feeling of importance. When we're drinking, we kid ourselves into thinking we are somebody. We tell tall stories to build ourselves up. In A.A., we don't want that kind of self-importance. We have real self-respect and honesty and humility."


I can relate to the forgetting our troubles part well enough... but the one that gets me is that drinking only made them worse!  Isn't that the truth?!  I've also certainly kidded myself about my own self-importance.

I think I'm doing a good job on honesty and humility.  I hope self-respect finds its way into my life.  It's just that for the past nearly two weeks, I constantly keep feeling down on myself... which is a hard thing to let go of.  I shared that around the table earlier and they too, like my counselor Janice, said to keep working hard on it.  It will apparently come to me when I least expect it.

ANY TIME NOW!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment